It is always interesting to see how people use blog in a creative way to suite their own purposes. Sometimes the way people uses technology interests me more than simply the tool itself. In Downes (2004) article, he introduces how today’s teachers use the blog as a "virtual extension of a classroom"
First, teachers use blogs to replace the standard class Web page. Second, and often accompanying the first, instructors begin to link to Internet items that relate to their course. Third, blogs are used to organize in-class discussions. Fourth, some instructors are using blogs to organize class seminars and to provide summaries of readings. Finally, fifth, students may be asked to write their own blogs as part of their course grade.
From the way teachers are using blog excites me when I imagine how students can access rich educational resources so easily and even students suffering in underprivileged life can equally receive great amount of education resources as rich students in private schools.Surely, the web2.0 educational tool is transforming student's daily school life that can hopefully lead to their successful adulthood. However, as I have mentioned, more important point than the interactive, dynamic and innovative web2.0 technologies is how the user creatively and purposefully integrate the tool in learning.
References:
Downes, Stephen (2004, September/October). Educational blogging, EDUCAUSE Review, 39(5), 14–26. Retrieved August 27, 2006, from http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.educause.edu%2Fpub%2Fer%2Ferm04%2Ferm0450.asp%3Fbhcp%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeF7XAcnLcES-xka4ibxsNF24qY8Q
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Few years ago, CALL journals introduced the way of using discussion board to encourage students' interaction.
I thought blogging was used same way like online discussion. Nonetheless, as you mentioned about class activities with blogs, it can be used effectively for instructors by using it as notice board.
Personally, I tried to conduct research related to blogging as a replacement of discussion board, but now I now other interesting ways of utilizing it. I am so curious about future research in educational blogging.
Post a Comment